Fallout fans have clamoured to the news in the past 24 hours that ZeniMax, Bethesda’s holding company, have registered the URL “thesurvivor2299.com“. Currently, the site contains a countdown – currently on some variant of 26 days, which could hint at a possible reveal from the developer’s side.
While this doesn’t necessarily indicate that a Fallout sequel is imminent, there are some interesting facts:
- The URL can be separated into two terms: “The Survivor” and “2299″ (Pointing out the obvious, I know):
- The Survivor could allude to a new protagonist, considering the protagonists of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas were know as The Lone Wanderer and The Courier respectively.
- 2299 is a date consistent with the Fallout timeline, as Fallout 3 occurred in 2277 and Fallout: New Vegas in 2281.
- The sound heard on that site, which is Morse code indicates a date – the 11th of December 2013. It must be noted that Morse code was often heard on ham radios in Fallout 3.
- The source code of the site teases users ever further, with the following scraps of information.