Upcoming Bungie title, Destiny, has had a major update to its website with new class info, screenshots and even gameplay footage.
The site also contains a summary of the game’s universe: everything was changed with the arrival of the Traveller, a being that made Mars and Venus habitable. This allowed humans to colonise the planets during a period known as the Golden Age.
However, this didn’t last long as the Traveller had an enemy, a powerful darkness, which followed them to Earth. The Traveller managed to save Earth but now hangs immobile above the Earth where it made its last stand against its enemy.
Now a new era has begun where the races are rushing to discover the secrets of their past. Players will assume the role of a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth and will need to defend the city, defeat enemies, explore the ancient ruins of the solar system, discover the lost secrets and “become legend”.
Earth, Mars, Venus and the moon are mentioned so it sounds as if there will be quite a bit of exploring to do. Aside from the last safe city of Earth, it seems like all the other locations have been affected by the “darkness”.
The Guardians section on the website details the three classes featured in the game; the Titan, Warlock and Hunter.
- Titan - The first Titans built the Wall, and bravely gave their lives to defend it. Now, you stand in the same place, steadfast and sure. Our enemies are deadly and merciless, but so are you. You hail from a line of legendary heroes and your strength and skill will be needed to shatter their ranks.
- Warlock - Warlocks have long studied the Traveler, mastering some of its arcane energies. Its true purpose still remains a great mystery, but discovering truth has always driven you into the unknown. Now, our enemies stand between you and your greatest discovery – the secrets of the Golden Age.
- Hunter - Hunters once prowled the wilderness and wastelands, taking big risks for even bigger rewards. Making your own luck has always meant bending the rules. But you are no outlaw, at least, not anymore, and your unique brand of daring and ingenuity will be needed now more than ever.
Also, of the possible enemies players will encounter, four were detailed:
- Fallen – Fallen are hardy creatures who can survive in a wide range of environments without heavy armor or complex modifications to their physiology. They travel light, hit hard, and are gone before you know it. Fallen may look like mere scavengers, but on closer inspection you will see hints of a splendid, sophisticated past, and the proud markings of their ancestral “Houses.”
- Hive – Hive manipulate the physical world in ways that we can only begin to imagine. The Hive have carved a kingdom deep into the lifeless core of the Moon, and it is there they remain, silent and buried among many dark and terrible secrets, a reminder of the tremendous power that brought forth the Collapse.
- Vex – Scattered reports indicate that the Vex appear to be mass-produced machine units, constructed of an unknown metal alloy resembling hammered brass. All attempts to communicate with them have failed. They are hostile. They are unrelenting. They are deadly.
- Cabal – Few Guardians have faced Cabal and lived to tell the tale. They are a professional military operation. On every front we have found them on the march, they have already dug in and ringed their installations with razor wire. Now, it seems they’ve turned their eyes towards us.
Aside from details about the classes and the universe, a host of brand new screenshots have emerged which can be seen below:
(Click on an image to see the larger version)
Destiny is due for release in September 2014 for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.